Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 16 (Monday)

I could use an American about now. Given they spend 55 minutes a day looking for things they know they own but cannot find, it seems they would have found my missing reading gasses sometime early today. I am still looking for them and it is starting to be very, very irritating. We've been through "where did you have them last" etc etc and I even asked my sub/unconscious to help, but no-go. Hopefully SpecSavers will have my new glasses ready in the next day or so and I will be better able to concentrate on analyzing articles suggesting Ms JG is trying to "woo the clucky country" by having "nappy snaps" taken with baby after baby (33 so far to Tony's 2) on the campaign trail. Some suggest the only kiss she should be concerned about is the "kiss of death" to Labor's chances if the Reserve Bank increases interest rates at its meeting tomorrow.

S was kind enough not to point out - although she did agree when I mentioned it - that I have been a bit like the Colorbond ad man since I mowed the lawn. I can often be found standing looking at how lush and green and neat and tidy it looks - especially with the grey water sprinkling gently over it.

It was good to have it done before the Kyogles arrived yesterday to pick up S on their way to Tambourine - taking the elderlies for a drive to show them something different. They missed seeing Em who was off visiting Auntie Fiona and having her glucose curve test. As expected she's fine and although there was some talk about doing her blood glucose levels at home, S and I are still discussing that.

Rubbish and recycling day went off without a hitch, which is good given it was happening in the dark. I did scare myself witless at one point, with all the dogs in the area howling and my imagination just ran off with me as I remembered J's Dad's encounter with the Yowie ... but I managed to calm myself and finish the garbage (unhook, untie, align) and then when I was back in the car, I checked the rear view mirror and there were three huge lights behind me - yes, I'm immediately thinking "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" or perhaps "Duel" - and then I realized I hadn't turned off (or taken off) my headlamp. This is definitely a daytime job!

Pearl may be going swimming this weekend if the weather is fine enough. And if not that, then to Sisters and the park so she can have a proper outing. She is getting plenty of, but not too much, exercise -chasing the ball up the yard and then bringing it back for the next throw. She has now learned a variation of the "No deal" arms-crossed sign to know when the game is finished. I have learned not to do "just one more" after "No deal". Good training can work both ways.

Tink has now taken to sleeping on the other lounge during the day time and early evening but is always good about going out - and (mostly) coming back in. For those times when she's tardy, S carries her in from the "man chair" (still in use) later in the evening.

We continue to be amazed at Pearl when she starts barking at "nothing" which, we have found, sometimes means that she wants us to open the door so she can go and drink "outside water" which, we know, is the sweetest tasting water of all. It is quite astonishing because S regularly changes all of the waters, so it's not as though this one is fresher - although it may have more "rain" in it than the others. Hmmmm, something to think about. This could be why all of the animals like it - although Em is still making a beeline for the shower whenever she can.

We have finally solved the puzzle of why Pearl never smelled like a dog before. We think it has much to do with that she had been doing regular swims, and hasn't been lately (hence the aforementioned plans for this weekend).

A couple of car dealerships have started advertising the giveaway of an iPad with the purchase of a car (even secondhand in some instances). Who would have thought a standalone device could be such a deal sweetener. Wonder if anyone will start offering the new iPhone 4? Still haven't seen one or held it in my hot little hand ... most importantly, still haven't bought one.

There is talk of a second debate between the leaders of the key parties, well, actually only Labor and Liberal, but at this stage Tony's dance card is way too full to even contemplate it. Other election news - there is a possibility of a large new medical complex in Moncrieff if Labor wins.

Kevin's gallbladder was indeed removed; and given his known predilections one could wonder if he has kept the stones for passing on to a Chinese apothecary. Does this increase one's fortunes? Who knows ... but, to quote Vivien Leigh/Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" ... tomorrow is another day.