Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 42 (Saturday)

What a great welcome to Saturday - bed tea and toast and a very lazy start to the morning. Alarms were set for this morning - but not particularly early and I do remember setting it for an hour later when I woke up at one point during the night when Pearl was barking. It was my own fault, I'd opened the door too early (not until the lights are on at the stables down the road, says S) and Pearl must have followed Beazley out ... and then started barking at the "possums". I remember just lying there, listening, trying to work out if it was Pearl, if she would stop by herself, and whether it was annoying the neighbours ... before finally dragging myself up - and wondering why S hadn't stirred.

One of the fantastic things about Latimers is that you get to see nature up close. This morning there was a juvenile kookaburra out the back and this afternoon we saw the sparrow hatchlings for the first time - or, more correctly, saw one and heard others. This is a relief after finding a broken egg under the nest earlier in the week. The paddock below the garage is literally swarming with wee birds - and not just ours - flitting back and fro in their quest for food. We think there might also be some kind of animal visiting the top paddock - when I mowed last week I kept finding holes gouged in the earth - quite deep - about three fingers - and lots of them. Someone suggested it might be burrowing bandicoots. I've taken a photograph of some of them and will see if I can find someone to ask - L might know.

This evening we headed to J's for a pizza and video night. "What movie are we going to see?" asked S on the way there. I told her that it hadn't been decided but anything would be okay along as it wasn't a chick flick (not the words I actually used) like "The Blind Side". One response later I knew that that was the film that S actually wanted to see because she had heard some very good things about it - and Sandra Bullock had won an Oscar for her role. I then started on about it being manipulative American fare and I might as well be bringing ... and before I could say the name of a movie she offered "Heart and Souls". Hmmm ... how on earth did S know that was the one I was going to say?

Well the good thing is that when there are three people you can go with the majority vote. When we arrived at J's, and after she met with the person who is looking to take over renting her spare room, conversation turned to which movie ... and straightaway she said "The Blind Side". Now any other person might have thought S had gotten to her first to rig the vote, but I had had her in sight since we arrived so that wasn't the case. So "The Blind Side" it was ... and I tried to be good-natured about it, thinking, well, I could always have a nap if it wasn't any good - but then it occurred to me that the DVD store might be out of copies. I mentioned this as we were about to go in. Well, what do you know ... they were out of copies, so we spent the next while trying to decide between all the new releases - again, majority rules - which is an interesting concept when everyone is trying to pick something they think everyone else will like - not because they want their own choice - but so that everyone will have a pleasurable experience. In the end, we decided on a S selection - "A Single Man" with Colin Firth (who J loves). I was just happy that they were happy, and as it turns out, for a '60's period piece it wasn't bad - but it was sad.

Not much happening on the election front this weekend, although one of the LNP MPs has apparently phoned two of the independents demanding to know why they weren't supporting them. Mr Abbott has had to go into "hose down" mode. There isn't anything quite like calm rational Government and decision-making, is there?

Still no foal but M and L must be thinking it's close because M has chosen not to go to an Awards dinner up north tonight so that one of them is around should the time come. The two L's are in various paddock arrangements, sometimes both in one, sometimes apart - but whatever it is, they're never far apart.

S had her hair cut at a little place in Nerang yesterday and was very pleased with the result - and knows that she has now found her hair stylist. It's in the same complex as our beloved Aldi so I will have plenty to do while I wait for her. I'm happy to just look most of the time, especially if I haven't found time to be on top of the specials - especially those I'm so keen about that I rock up there a week early!

S will be excited when she learns (thank you Fathers' Day catalogues) that the next season of Grand Designs had been released on DVD.

It will give her something to do since we are still without internet and now hold out little hope of a "tech" visiting before Monday at the earliest. It is amazing how much you get used to being able to pull up the latest news, weather etc whenever you want it. S misses that a lot - she can still do it of course, but that means using one of the mobile devices.

We heard from F tonight - he is back from NZ and we will catch up with him at the markets tomorrow.