Thursday, December 6, 2012

Starry starry night

I sometimes forget to just come out and look at the stars. This is one of the benefits of not living in the city. There is no extraneous light to dim them. As I called for Tinka to come in this evening - she was the last to come in but that is not unusual - and as I waited and whistled, I chanced to look up. The first thing I saw was the Big Dipper. Off to the left and down a little was a constellation I didn't recognise, and more than a few others as well, and I knew that if I moved out into the yard and looked in the other direction, I would have seen the Southern Cross - visible in the southern hemisphere, maybe only from Australia. I didn't see any shooting stars but I know that soon, in the UK, and northern hemisphere, they will be witness to a very impressive meteorite shower. This is an annual event and I have seen it once - although that was a fair while ago now!

Tink didn't come in in the end and M went out looking for her - and found her quite easily, sitting on the single bale of hay in the carport. I had looked on the other one (I know Tink is a bit partial to the hay) but didn't think to check the one where she actually was. But in no way was it wasted time!

No comments:

Post a Comment