Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The week's off to a good start ...

It's raining ... raining in Nerang - and there's more (150mm) predicted to fall tonight. But that isn't enough to stop us coming out for Trivia at Southport RSL. I think the furries would have preferred we had the night in (or is that just projection on my part?) but we have left them well-fed and cozy and with the run of the house. Hopefully they will not abuse the privilege and run amok! I was sorry I didn't get to take Pearl for a walk before we left but I couldn't time it between the downpours so she would stay dry ... and while there is nothing as friendly as a wet dog - she doesn't need to spend the evening damp - especially as it has turned a little chilly with the change in the weather.

We were six for Trivia - with A, a teacher from France, and friend of S and N's coming along. Unfortunately we were one off the podium by evening's end but I think she had a good time anyway - especially as she was kept fairly busy throughout taking notes of English idioms and other oddities in her rapidly-filling notebook and "looking forward to the Mixed Bag" (one of this evening's categories). She knew some of the answers as well - always a bonus - as is having a television set showing greyhound races when the question "How many greyhounds in a greyhound race" comes up. "I was just watching greyhound racing" said Fl - who thought it might be 8 - and this was confirmed within a few minutes as the dogs were led into the barriers for the next start. Judging by the giggles from at least one adjoining table, I don't think we were the only ones to have noticed the television fare.

But while we might have missed out on the money on the night - over at The Big House, M, who had called in to change some accommodation, found herself passing the CSP table just as a seat became available. You'd have to sit down wouldn't you? And it was good that she did because on her third hand she was dealt a straight flush! Yippeee!!!!! Although she says that at first she didn't notice what she had, when she did, she was just "beaming". Good for her! I'm just sorry I wasn't there to see the look on her face when she realised it - and, like her, I'm sure I would have needed a nice hot cuppa to help calm me down afterwards. Heaven knows it took me ages to get to sleep after she told us (although that could have had something to do with the way she told us ... when we arrived home from Trivia, she had left a little something for each of us on our pillows! Thanks M!) And, while this is probably just a coincidence, it was interesting to note that she (of the snake sighting at Chinese New Year) was wearing her red Chinese dragon tee-shirt at the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment