Sunday, July 1, 2012

Friday

It's amazing how life's mysteries are solved - especially when you hadn't even realised they were ... mysteries. Working on a construction site can sometimes be “difficult” from an industrial relations point of view, and I was overhearing a conversation today about how people were not even trying to work out the point that others were making - “we might as well be building The Tower of Babel” someone not known for their religious citations said, and what made me really take notice was that he pronounced it “babble” rather than how I've always heard it before - as in rhyming with “table”. That made perfect sense! They were all, biblically speaking, babbling at each other way back when or so it seemed when they started speaking different languages. And, when you think of it, maybe even those who were speaking the same language did not know what others who were speaking that exact same language were saying. Out of the mouth of ... Peter.

And I have to believe that he is astute because it was only yesterday that he was singing “The Sun will come out tomorrow” ... and he was certainly right about that! It did come out - and it (and blue sky) was a welcome sight! S even managed to get some washing done - with the intention of getting it out on the line first thing in the morning before we trek off to Dinosaur Island (now that I have S interested, I'd better check that it's up and operational otherwise that would just be too disappointing!)

If it keeps up like this, the ground will be dry enough for mowing on Sunday - which I am very much looking forward to.

Well, I could have had a trip to Brisbane with the work crowd today - including a site walk of the new Supreme and District Court up there but, alas, I was snowed under with approvals and other time-sensitive tasks that just won't wait until Monday. I wasn't the only one not to go - two others stayed behind as well, working on urgent payments - and because, for one reason or another they couldn't get their work boots on and if you don't have boots on, you don't have full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and you aren't allowed on site! The other part of it for them, too, was that if you didn't meet the dress code of the Club where they were going for a peer meeting and Lunch after the site walk, you wouldn't be allowed in their either.

But wasn’t it good that Black Caviar won her race at Royal Ascot earlier this week, although a shame that winning by a nostril also had her pulling up sore.

S thinks that young Dolly will do well at the track - based, I think, on how she is looking - and it may have a little bit to do, too, with the speed with which she races around her paddock (and over to see S when she and Pearl are walking past). What we're not looking forward to, though, is when the time comes for Holly and Dolly to be separated. And Dolly is growing so fast and getting so big - if they're standing side by side, there are only a couple of hands between she and Holly now. Sweetie is still in her "new" paddock and seems to have adjusted well to being there. I do worry about her on that hill though, especially given how much rain we've had and how wet it's been, but I suppose horses have been going up and down muddy slopes forever.

S's garden is doing well and looks very much like ... a garden. There are already some tomatoes starting to come on ... but no bone trees yet - although, given the dirt pile (thanks Pearl) still in there, I think we should be getting at least one plant out of it.

It could be the fact that J didn't come last week and K didn't come this week, but S has said that she is starting to ... and I can't think of the exact words here so I wouldn't want to misrepresent her ... but I think it was something like she loves Latimers and hanging out with the furries, and she doesn't mind her own company, but she will be glad when M comes back!

It looked as though we might have a late lockdown tonight, but everyone was in in good time, and Maggie even sat on my lap for part of the MasterChef Master Class. Unfortunately, I don't think the Sydney Morning Herald provides a recap of the Master Class, but I am still chuckling about the recap of last night's elimination round. S sent me the link at work and I had to stop reading it because I realised that I couldn't help laughing out loud at it! Very clever, and funny, stuff even, apparently, if you haven't seen the episode - as someone had commented. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wondered - and I think S might even have said it - whether we watch MasterChef so we can enjoy those recaps even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment