Friday, July 13, 2012

Thursday

It's still raining which means that D was here when I arrived home - but luckily he didn't have the trailer in tow and didn't have the four-wheel drive loaded to the gunnels so the lawn was, more or less, safe ... for now.

I can't believe how wet it is. Yesterday when K came, it took ages for the floors to dry. Today, it's worse - even though the floors haven't been cleaned today (although at this rate they could do with one). I feel sorry for poor little Ebony though; she's still out there in her paddock and the water's getting quite deep out there. She doesn't seem too distressed though, in fact she seems to be having a wonderful time jumping through puddles - again and again and again. I'm not sure what happens to electric fences when it rains but Ebony’s doesn't seem to be working - and probably just as well, because, as I said, there's a lot of water out there. She ran out of the paddock and onto the road before I realised her fence was “down” - but luckily it was after I'd driven past.

S had done a good job of getting Tinker inside this afternoon and she (Tink) was sleeping on the bed when I arrived home. But that didn't last long and she realised at some point what was up - and then put herself under the coffee table again. That seems to be one of her favourite spots on vet afternoons ... or under the kitchen table - both difficult places in which to reach her. But reach her we did - and in the end we caught her in the bedroom in a pincher movement. S says she always feels mean “catching” Tinker but, as I tell her every time, it's something which needs to be done and it’s doing a good thing for her (which is what I tell myself as she cries in the car all the way to the Vet) and ... and this is important ... as I keep telling Tink, at least I have learnt my lesson about not having her cage right at the back of the four-wheel drive and not having it facing frontwards! Given the number of roundabouts between here and the Vet’s, that has to be a plus! (This is, of course, an allusion to the roll cage incident - which is now sufficiently distant that I am no longer absolutely mortified by it.)

The Vet was very happy with Tink's progress. She had a BGL of 11.2, her weight had not changed (5.77) and they want to see her back in a fortnight. I tried to get the Vet to push it out to three weeks instead, but she was resolute. Two weeks it is then ... and we must remember to note that in the diary since we'll probably be handing pet patrol back to their mother when she returns next week.

Just when you think it can't rain anymore, it starts bucketing down even more heavily. Surprisingly, though, the river doesn't seem to be that high at the moment - more a trickle than a stream. I checked this afternoon, expecting it to be a raging torrent ... but it was only just in the middle third of its bed.

I don't know how bees cope in the wet. I've been meaning to mention for quite a while (did I already?) that new hives have gone in near the crossing - and loads of them. They've been there at least a month, maybe even longer. I haven't seen anyone down there with them yet - how long does it take for a hive to become productive? And what's the best time of day for collecting the honey (read: raiding the hives)?

It was Post Office and Butcher day again today - which seems to have come around awfully fast, especially since it's a day later this week because of my The Big House run yesterday. Anyone who had been near me at the Post Office would have had a great laugh at my expense ... I just wish I could have observed it rather than been it. I'd just emptied the mail box (lots of mail from M's friend!) when I could hear what I think is my phone going off. It wasn't - and I couldn't work out what it was, except it did sound like an iPhone. I wondered if someone had posted a phone and that was what I could hear - but couldn't work out why they would do that, especially without having removed the battery. I took a step away from the boxes and the noise was still as loud. I'm not sure how long it took to actually dawn on me that it was my iPad, in my bag, ringing away but I finally took the call, trying to juggle the mail, the iPad, and the car keys so I could get back in the car and out of the rain!

I'll have to go to the Post Office again tomorrow. My parcel hasn't come yet! But then, since I only ordered my new Jot stylus yesterday, it was wishful thinking that it would arrive today ... but you can't blame folk for hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment