Thursday, July 5, 2012

Wednesday

The rhythm of life is a powerful beat ... Wednesday, aka Hump Day, has become Post Office Day, Butcher Day and pick up any needed groceries Day ... and it is good. I don't mind a bit of routine (that's your laugh for today) so it suits me quite well ... especially when the day is overlaid with the coming excitement of "The Decider"! This gives people a common theme - and makes a change from the weather - and may or may not form part of staff "pep talks" for the day. At the butchers, I was asked "who are you going for?" (did the stunned "what are you talking about?" look show on my face I wonder) - obviously so they wouldn't offend me by giving me the wrong bag - they had two to choose from - maroon or blue. It was a nice touch and certainly would have impressed some people. It impressed me ... I had never seen maroon plastic shopping bags before!

At Coles, it was more of the same. You could tell something was up by what was in people's shopping - lots of snack foods and things for eating with the "Big Game". I didn't want to feel like an outsider so I made sure there were chips in our trolley! At the checkout, my server asked if I was going to watch the game (the chips obviously worked!) and when I replied "no, you?", she gave me one of those looks that expressed a certain world-weariness and said "no, it doesn't interest me in the slightest" and didn't say "and if I have to have one more conversation about football I'm going to run screaming from the store ..."

I didn't go into the Post Office - although I did browse their bargain table out the front and almost purchased something - a bright blue card holder, about the size of the small camera bag I am currently using to contain all my cards in the one spot. The only difference was it opened to the side and had a plastic insert for holding the cards and the case was rigid. I might go back tomorrow and see if the price has dropped to under $5.

Back at Latimers, L has devised a new way to keep Ebony in. It's a tiny electric fence - at knee height (for us). I'm not sure I agree with it; I wonder if some time spent with her and training her might not have achieved a better result. And it's not that she doesn't come charging towards Pearl when we walk out of the gate anyway, she just stops short of the electric fence. We had taken to putting Pearl on the lead on departure and approach - only letting her off when we were a reasonable distance away from the gate - and I think we'll continue to do that. I wouldn't want her charging across and getting a zap!

S was very pleased that J did come today and even I admit it's nice not to have to dodge the pet fur tumbleweeds as they roll past. (And thanks S for doing the Hour of Power before J arrived!)

We think Tink knows it's almost time for the Vet visit. When we returned from taking Pearl down to B's shed this afternoon, she appeared from where she'd been - she's spending a lot of time sitting on the water tank at the moment - probably because the sun's heating it up and it's warm - and started to walk over to us - and then veered off. Later when I came out to call her in to dinner, she was sitting near the four-wheel-drive (there's no way we'll see that tomorrow!) and I took a photograph of her (I was on the way out to photograph the cows) - and then she started coming towards me ... and fast-walked straight past me when I went to give her a pat! She really is her own little person/cat. But she followed me when I went down to check on the gate at the bottom of the incline near the Bohemia tree (it didn't look as though it was closed, and it wasn't) and then she started to have a snuffle around down there! Eventually she did come up with me to have her dinner - and was only fifteen minutes late with her shot, so that wasn't too bad.

The moon was brilliant again this evening and if it had been any warmer, I think the feline furries would have been out hunting in the moonlight rather than cuddled up on the couch watching MasterChef - except for Maggie, of course, who is still doing reclusive behaviour on her chair down near the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment