Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 61 (Thursday)

Telling it like it isn't ... "Fake it till you make it" – the auditors shared this pearl of wisdom with me this week. They suggested I print it out and post it above my desk at work. They are all of the younger persuasion and this is their "motto" and they obviously thought it would be helpful as a credo of sorts. Funnily enough, I read something similar about the young politicians starting to come through the ranks now – that they use spin and rhetoric to make people think they know what they are doing – definitely trying to give more than the illusion of control! The same item suggested John Howard and Bob Hawke were the last real leaders in Australian politics. (Hmmm, was this in one of the numerous pieces I read on the train on the way home tonight – or part of a letter I read today?)

Even though we have only just seen "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is now out ... not sure if it's in the cinemas but it was definitely on the side of a bus in Brisbania today. Will we wait for this one to come out on DVD as well? If it's anywhere near as graphic as the other, probably.

The animals are playing musical beds today ... Maggie is in Pearl's (inside) Beazley is in Pearl's (outside) (wonder if this has anything to do with the swallows), Pearl is in S's chair, and Tink ... well, Tink is in one of her favourite positions on the back of the recliner so we can easily give her a chuck under the chin as we wander past.

Word is that R is due tomorrow and will tidy up those edges and corners I couldn't quite get to on the ride-on mower. Must remember to get the biscuits out of the back of the car for morning or afternoon tea (depending on which part of the day he comes). S wasn't quite sure ... but she'll be here - and I may be, even though it's a Friday.

We have now heard that the decision regarding the project is being delayed by at least another month and they are ramping back the office. We're not quite sure what they will look like but the project manager said to me in passing the other day (between meetings) that it looked like it might just be the two of us there part-time for October. The immediate upshot is that no-one (from the other five remaining staff) will be in tomorrow so I'll be working from home most of the day (company policy dictates no-one works alone). I will need to go in and get some "stuff" especially as I am still gathering information for the auditors - and I have no remote computer access to the files - but I will take S with me and then we'll probably go off to lunch somewhere. ("Come in" - Spinners.)

It would be a shame if the project fell over at this stage, especially as I've been learning a lot about systems and processes in the Brisbania project office. At least the good thing is that I've been told they don't want to lose me and will work to find me a slot; the not-so-good news would be if that slot was in Brisbane ... commuting two days a week is okay but I wouldn't want to do it any more. It may be time to start looking for something else ... now if only I had some idea what that might look like.

It is stunning how quickly the grass has grown since the weekend. I can't imagine what it would look like if I hadn't done the second run over it.

I'm looking up towards the stables and wondering if the wheelbarrows are enjoying their rest from pick-up patrol. The folk who are doing it now are still mostly using rakes and buckets ... and, for the first time, it occurs to me to wonder what they do with it. If one horse produces a barrow-load every day or so, and they're looking after x horses, that's quite a bit to "relocate".

The Coast remain about the same - although the way of talking about it changes. On the traffic report last night we were told: "It's the usual happy patch between Nerang and Mudgeeraba" ... which is quite a refreshing way of thinking about a kilometres-long traffic "jam".

It didn't take long for Malcolm Turnbull to launch his first salvo against the National Broadband network. There was a fairly long opinion piece by him in today's Sydney Morning Herald. It was obviously targeted at the public because the focus seemed to be on cost rather than the technology per se, although he did question why Labor would want to roll-out fibre since wireless has had a much greater uptake rate in recent times. I'm not going out on a limb when I say we haven't heard the last of this.

Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I'm certain it would be nice just to have a nice relaxing day at Latimers ... hearing the sweet twitter of bird song, watching the animals, listening to the roar of the whipper-snipper and waiting to see what R needs help with (at least no rain is forecast so the tractor shouldn't need to be rescued). Let's see if I still feel the same way tomorrow.