Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 72 (Monday)

S has a busy day planned for Latimers and I am playing auditors' gopher again - which is anything but easy with our accounting package and the "systems" in place to support it (established before I arrived). But there has been great support from other areas of the business to get the information we need - so that's a big plus!

It's also time to change Lars' registration from the southern state to the Sunshine State. Even as I write this the Mobile Roadworthy Man (not the actual business name but the activity) has taken Lars off for a drive so he can do the safety check. All done. Now just need to get a couple of fix-its done and a green slip and watch out Department of Transport because here we come. And who would have thought the David would be so helpful - in telling Mr Roadworthy where I was, I mentioned the complex and he said "is that the one with the big statue" ... which was fantastic because that's exactly where I was going to suggest that we meet - since I have no idea what the street address is.

Tink was certainly doing her very best to be noticed this evening. Four times I had a car moving through the yard and four times Tink was where the car wanted to be. Twice S had to come out and physically pick her up to move her - and no thank you, she did not want to sit on the warm bonnet of either Lars or the Honda.

Emma decided she wanted to be an outside cat today. She managed it three times - including once where she was sun baking on the front area with both Maggie and Tink. This is a continuation of her fascination with outside since Saturday. Yesterday morning I was putting some litter material outside and she darted through the partly opened screen door ... almost getting her head caught ... and was very happy to stay out there for ages. Not sure what's gotten in to her ... and whether she would be quite so outgoing - or if the other kids would be quite so tolerant (there was some hissing - but not from them) - if S wasn't around.

BBQ No. 2 is slated for tomorrow evening when J comes round to collect the camera for use at the 21st birthday party. I can't believe it's 21 years since last I was in Scotland (it's funny how we remember things, isn't it) - or that I still haven't renewed my passport but I did finally get around to having the pics for it taken - and, reminder for next time, don't feel compelled to do it on the day after you've had 6 hours sleep. But, I figured, even as I was having them taken, that's how you look at the end of a long-haul flight. It's as my brother says: the photo most people have on their driving licence shows exactly what they look like when they have just been pulled over by the police.

The new Parliament sits for the first time this week and by some reports, it is going to be amazing if the Gillard Government can survive 100 days. The Opposition is going all out to make it as difficult as they can for them - even down to making "pairing" - where they stand down one of their own if someone on the other side needs to be absent from a vote - incredibly difficult. The acceptable excuses for "pairing" have been seriously restricted - almost to the point of an absence having to be "in the national interest" and the Opposition will decide what that is. Yes, there's nothing like a "kinder, gentler" era of Australia politics. Apparently, the "Terminator Abbott" thinks it's worth it - even though he has gone back on his word. Ah well, if one was really interested, they could go back and see whether he had written it down - because, by his own admission, his promises are worth nothing if they are not.

It's almost certain that Tiger Lily will not be coming to her grandmother's funeral later this week in Nerang. Michael Hutchence's mother, Patricia Glassop, 81, died last week after a short illness. There was a history of acrimony between she and Bob Geldof, who adopted Tiger Lily after mother Paula Yates' death. Glassop said Geldof wasn't so much a "saint" as "Satan" (which could make a rather bizarre Samagram).

The Colorbond Moments continue although S did note that the grass could do with mowing again because it isn't "short". Hmmm ... she's right of course and I'll try to sneak in another mow later in the week - possibly Wednesday, as long as I get home early enough from the Hospital site. It's my first day there tomorrow and S has just asked me if I'm nervous. I hadn't actually given it that much thought - so I guess, no. I'm lucky because I know folk over there already, including Joan who was the Executive Assistant on our project. I'm not planning to get a lift with her though - she starts at 7 and is still there after 5. No wonder she hasn't had time to finish the Twilight novels - especially since she doesn't like reading them when it's dark (something about being a little too open to suggestion).

Well, off to get Tink in (the last one out for the evening) and marvel at the soft rain falling once again over Latimers. I don't think it's forecast to continue tomorrow.