Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 62 (Friday)

It's no fun being sick - as S keeps assuring me, especially as I turn into a boy which, as I reminded her, is exactly why I call it "man flu". After a week of doing the "soldier on" thing, with only a few Sudafed in sight, I finally put myself to bed this morning. I had thought I was going to go to work - when I rose at the usual time - or stay home and work - but I was wrong. It wasn't nine o'clock when I realized I was being a bear with a sore head - certainly a congested one - and not the world's nicest person ... definitely time to do something about it. Just an hour ... then I'd feel better and dive in again. I even put the alarm on. Which I slept straight through. S said that was not the amazing thing ... it was that I slept through Ross' visit - and as we know his visit this morning was mostly about the whipper-snippering - and he did lots of it including some just outside the room where I was sleeping. I think I had been vaguely aware of it but certainly not in that annoyed "I'm sick - go away" way. S did coffee (she made them both real coffee) and they had it out the back because she didn't want to disturb me - it was very sweet but I don't think there was much chance of that.

R and his family are off on a cruise to Noumea this coming week. At first S thought it might be the same one W and K are going on but R's leaves tomorrow and the other leaves Monday.

F rang this morning to say he was off to a 50th Birthday Party tonight so he couldn't make Friday night dinner. We'd only been talking about it a bit before he rang - wondering if he was doing anything special for his birthday tomorrow and whether we eould take him to Spinners to celebrate. S said he laughed when she mentioned his birthday - he'd forgotten it was tomorrow! We hope someone in his household makes a fuss over him. And I suppose this puts a whole new light on his remembering anniversaries! Depending on how I feel tomorrow, we'll see about catching up - otherwise he's definitely a starter for the Sunday Markets.

Before succumbing this morning I checked the nest - and could see three of the little ones crammed tight in it. Another one came zooming in as I stood there but I couldn't tell if it was parent or baby - they're all now starting to look the same. I did manage to take a photo of the three in the nest before they all took off for a tour of the yard and beyond. Nature is truly amazing isn't it ... that they can go from egg to flying in three weeks. They must almost be ready to leave as the cats are spending much less time out looking after them now.

Pearl is being a bit less well behaved at the moment. Not sure If she's just hungrier but she's started barking at S when she thinks she should be having her cookies - even when she's not due them. We'll have to work on that behavior before her mother gets back. We are confident that she has now returned to her normal, if naughty, self.

S is being a terrific nurse today. She very kindly ran into Coles to get some supplies when we drove in at lunchtime. Put me in a restaurant or cafe and it takes me for ever (and then some) to decide ... put me at home in bed, feeling under the weather, and I can tell you exactly what I want (and therefore must have) and be pretty sure that it isn't in the house. Which is why some tomato soup also came home with us!

I think Emma has enjoyed the company though. She's sitting on my pillow (which is on my knee as a kind of desk) as I write this. She seems okay even though she had another hypo yesterday. We're not sure if that was because she hadn't had all her breakfast, or that she didn't have all her breakfast because she was feeling unwell. It's pretty unsettling for both she and S when it happens but at least S knows how to manage it now. I don't think we are going to be able to put off blood glucose testing her for much longer - although part of me is wondering, at 18, what would be the long-term effects of not giving her insulin. Time to talk to the vet again.

It's Carnival of Flowers time and tonight I'm kind of glad that we're not booked on that 6.45am steam train from Brisbane to Toowoomba. The people we would have sat near are probably glad too although I'm probably not contagious and we would have been carrying enough tissues, Sudafed, headache tablets and hot steamy drinks for the journey. (That hot steamy drink actually sounds pretty good about now!)

Otherwise all is well and functioning within normal parameters here at Latimers. And now, overcome with a deluge of symptoms (and I suspect some cat allergy) any other news will have to wait until tomorrow ,,,