Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 76 (Friday)

S and F slept together last night! Thank goodness they have such a large couch because as we watched "The Bourne Identity" both of them drifted gently off to sleep, leaving me to enjoy the movie - which I did. When the credits finally rolled, they were both still well and truly in The Land of Nod and at that point I thought it would have been good if I could have carried S out to the car, driven her home and deposited her in our bed without having to wake her because she was obviously tired. As she said later, it wasn't that she wasn't interested in the movie it was just that a great weariness had descended upon her - which might have had something to do with last night's early morning litter activities. She said that doesn't happen to her very often - and I can attest to that. Usually it's me who drifts to sleep in front of the television or the computer ... but I do seem to remember one other time when she did it, something to do with trying to stay awake during a horse-riding/dressage video.

So once again we managed not to see "The Blind Side" which F would have been happy to watch and, of course, S would have too. Maybe we can line it up for one night next week although I hear that S is really looking forward to going to see "Eat Love Pray" although my predilections would have me queuing to see "Eat Love Prey" instead if such a movie existed - although it could well be a wildlife documentary rather than a science fiction movie aka the "Species" trilogy.

Rain came again to Latimers today. I heard on the radio that it was the wettest September the Gold Coast has had in over a hundred years, since 1906 actually which would make it 104 years. It's hard to remember a day where it didn't at least sprinkle. Or to forget that it was in 1906 that San Francisco had its last really big earthquake.

I went to Brisbania today and continued to play "spot the difference". It was interesting when S pointed out that not everyone could have done it and when I was getting ready to move on to my next task, Sandy there mentioned that if it had been her she would have been playing "connect the dots" instead. While it was an interesting thing to do I am glad I'm on the Coast next week because the next task is actually documenting all the changes including counting the light fixtures (including mm measurements) off the plans.

Lunchtime saw me off to Queen Street Mall to get some paperwork for the car registration and on the way there I fell into a little stationery shop to ask for some purple cartridge refills for the Lamy fountain pen ... no, they didn't carry anything like that but I would be sure to find them at The Pen Shop! Heaven on a stick ... and he told me exactly where to find them in The Brisbane Arcade - which was almost exactly where I was going anyway. It is a wonderful store and they were in the middle of proofing, on computer, their latest brochure which is going to be, as the woman behind the counter assured me ... "very romantic" - and full of lovely gifts.

Meanwhile, back at Latimers, J had phoned to say she was running late and finally arrived at 11, telling S the reason for the delay (yard person running late) but then settled in to a 5-hour stay during which she did a great job and had numerous chats with S - who know knows that J wants to do temporary foster care.

By the time I arrived home, J had not been gone for that long and then when I mentioned we would have to leave fairly soon to get to Flam's on time (we didn't) you could see that S would have liked just a bit more of an transition period. But at least she had changed out of her Latimers MWC - which I'm sure F wouldn't have minded.

The kids remain their same cute selves and Beazley has taken up a new spot in the Manchester shelves - he's preferring crocheted rugs this week. Even though it's been raining a bit, they are all still managing to spend a good amount of time outside and not always at the time when they should be coming inside for the nightly "lock down". Those spending time in the great outdoors include Emma who is still racing outside, or through to the shower or laundry, at every opportunity.

Hermes seems to have gotten over his heartbreak of earlier in the week but he still does let out a very plaintive whinny from time to time to let us know that while she may be gone, she is not forgotten.

We have a big day planned for tomorrow including cat cookies, dog cookies, mail collection from the Post Office (I'm too early or late most days), breakfast at Crave, a drive-by the hospital site, a Mudgeeraba pie for S, some grocery shopping, Carrara Halal Indian takeaway for dinner, tax for me (something to get the teeth in to) and perhaps even some desk wrangling. Phew! But we're looking forward to it. Especially if it rains as expected. The promise of some days really does make you feel on top of the world!