Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 79 (Monday)

The sun came out today. It was a welcome change after all the rain we've had recently, and even though more rain is forecast for later in the week we're enjoying the sunshine and warmth while we have it. You can just feel your skin drinking in the Vitamin D. Now, where are those sunglasses?

It was a rare pleasure to have lunch with S and M today. They were on their way back from visiting Mouse and called in to the Lakes Complex. Luckily we were having a slow day at work so I was able to get away at short notice, and they phoned as they were on approach, passing the giant David statue out the front. We could see where the low-lying surrounding areas (it is a flood plain) were submerged and strongly suspected that any polo happening on the College oval in the coming days would be of the water variety.

Lunch was at The Garlic Clove which seems to be a better restaurant in the evenings than it is a cafe during the day. I have been spoiled by having another coffee venue close by and today, knowing that I had just had a coffee not long before and that I would have another later in the day, I had tea instead. Coffee is such a hit and miss affair and unfortunately depending on who is making it there, it has often been a miss. I have mentioned it to them on a number of occasions, but it doesn't seem to have had an effect .... alternatively, it could just be that I am far too fussy about my caffeine fixes.

M jumped on the mower this afternoon which was both a joy and a ... what is it when something isn't a joy but just the opposite? By mowing, M uncovered more track marks through the lawn. Remedial action is going to be called for. And more than a grass-over. I don't know how he managed to scar it quite so badly although I think it was more to do with it being wet and sodden rather than him doing burn-outs on the lawn. It was quite strange but very rewarding doing the lawn on a Monday and I'm looking forward to Summer days with long evenings when the lawn can be done any day rather than having to wait until there's time on the weekend.

I can see I still have a long way to go with my lawn mowing to be as proficient as M. But she has had lots more practice than I. The lines she does up and down the yard are straight and long and I can see this is a more efficient method than I've been employing. It's always good tom learn from a master.

Hermes is still coping well without Holly in the paddock next door to his. I noticed that there are now horses in L's two paddocks closest us but I don't recognise their horses well enough to be able to tell who they are. I did say hello to them on the way down the lane but had to be content with using the very familiar "hello you" rather than their names.

S cooked a lovely vegetable curry tonight - the same recipe she did for the Great K while he was here. Not sure if I've mentioned that he's only doing one subject this semester and S had thought he might start dropping out to Latimers to say hello a little more often. When he does come, we'll have to remember to give him his "dress" belt - hopefully it's his. We noticed it on the ground in the garage soon after he had left and thought, logically, it had to be his - although it may have fallen out as I was relocating things from Lars to the Honda's boot in preparation for the Great K's visit and transportation to the airport.

And speaking of Lars, as I was coming around a big sweeping curve this afternoon, I'm sure I heard a "clink". Luckily it wasn't one of those mysterious noises that usually results in a bill for some hundreds of dollars from the mechanics - when it clinked again a little while later, on the same type of curve, I knew, even if I couldn't pinpoint its exact location that it was surely the wrench I "lost" yesterday! Just as well it wasn't a spanner (in the works) or anything could have happened.

The Mobile Roadworthy certificate man was meant to come out and do the next inspection of the car today but he rang just before lunch to say that he was not well, and he would need to reschedule until tomorrow. I'm working at different offices on the first two days of the week so he took tomorrow's address and will meet us (Lars and me) there instead. Then I can start filling out the paperwork for my registration transfer. I've decided not to spend $2000 getting personalized plates for Lars - although I do reserve the right to change my name to whatever the plates are ... and given some of the personalised plates I have seen, this would be kinder to pedestrians and other drivers who try to work out the naming protocols like 55ING. I will miss those familiar yellow plates though! And it's never too early to tie some distinguishing tag to the car, similar to how people do to help them identify their luggage at the airport, so I can find Lars when we go out.