Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 97 (Saturday)

M was off bright and early this morning - just leaving as I was getting up. I had decided that since it's the weekend and I have the next week off, I was going to indulge myself with a few sleep-ins starting today - and I got off to a great start.

S was also up and I took the opportunity to reinforce the concept that it was time to visit the doctor - which she agreed to. After a couple of phone calls we found a surgery which had an available appointment this morning.

As we were getting ready to leave M phoned to say she had a spare ticket for the V8 races, but the last bus to the site was at 11.30. Sigh. There was no way we could make that and still do S's doctors appointment so with heavy heart we declined - given the choice, I wanted S to be better for tonight's dinner at N and S's place. S was looking forward to it too and if she at least could talk and eat she would be a starter.

So - definitely the doctor and we had time for a quick breakfast in Nerang - although S wasn't really able to swallow much but she did make a valiant attempt at the scrambled eggs - before going to the surgery.

For a short visit - S thinks she was in there for all of three minutes (I would have been able to confirm that had I not been dozing on one of the waiting room couches) - it was very productive. She was prescribed some anti-inflammatory spray with an analgesic for her throat, some antibiotics which she will only use if it appears the infection is moving to her chest, and told to switch to a paracetemol-based pain killer.

By this afternoon she was a little more like her old self and when J came to visit S emerged for a cuppa and a piece of Lillian's fruit cake - and it is very good fruit cake.

We have decided to defer our planned trip to Toowoomba until later in the week to give S a chance to fully recover from the lurgy.

She had recovered enough though to go out for dinner and we had a lovely evening with S and N, their niece Lucy, F, M and S and I. It was a relatively early start to the evening as both F and S are early risers - which means they tend to flag earlier in the evening. We had a tagine for dinner, with cous cous, followed by pear, chocolate sauce and ice-cream for dessert. They followed it with an absolutely amazing walnut liqueur which had been liberally dosed with star anise giving it a wonderful aniseed flavour. Totally yummy.

We were home well before midnight so I took the opportunity of being on holidays to stay up late and watched classic crocodile film "Lake Placid" again (I've lost count of how many times I've seen it - not enough obviously because I didn't remember what had happened). Beasley watched it with me and he wasn't scared at all!