Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 94 (Wednesday)

The lurgy has come to Latimers, felling both S and me (or should that be I ... I'm still feeling the aftereffects otherwise I would be able to make a decision about that). S is still in bed, alternating between being boiling hot and freezing cold, but Em is there to nurse her and offer her comfort. I have dragged myself out of my sickbed to go to work - my last day on the pipeline project - because I'm feeling a bit better and because I know if I don't get this done I'll need to come back next week - and I really want to have next week off. There are plans! Toowoomba, Dreamworld and the tigers, whale watching ... hopefully S will be well enough to come too!

Even though it was fine over parts of the Coast yesterday, it was raining quite heavily at Latimers in the morning. I can't comment about the rest of the day because I was asleep for most of it - finally emerging after sunset and dinner cookie time to have a hot drink and something to eat. It's amazing how good a nurse Em is - when I did wake up she was on the bed, not far away, and she'd come over for a cuddle or to lay on top of me. She's feeling the cold a bit more these days and her favourite position is down at the bottom of the bed at S's feet, so she can't actually stretch out. I keep suggesting we change sides - since I'm shorter and am used to sleeping like a pretzel around Em - but she won't make the change.

I dreamt of snakes yesterday (sometimes a snake is just a snake). I was getting someone to teach me how to handle them - and how to get used to seeing them so I won't panic when I see one in real life. Because if one is unlikely enough to get bitten, it's only a matter of time before the powers-that-be disband the 000 emergency number; they were talking about it on the radio today, saying that because 40% of calls to the number were not emergency calls or were hoax calls, they were thinking of shutting it down. There was some suggestion that people should use the 112 emergency number - which is supposed universal from a mobile phone - but wouldn't people who have been abusing the 000 number just ring the other one instead? (I am reminded of the episode of the IT Crowd where the emergency services change their number from 999 to some very long number - and give people a jingle to sing to help them remember it. Suffice to say that when the time came to ring it, the call went through to someone in a faraway land rather than to emergency services; although they were raised quite successfully with the sending of an email.)

Tink was us to her naughty tricks tonight when she didn't come in when called. It was funny, though, because she almost came in a couple of times before she did her disappearing act. Perhaps we could call her Houdini instead?

We have now heard that the Great K achieved a High Credit mark for his thesis and has been told that if he wants to do some more work on it, he can move towards having it published. In the meantime, a huge basket of flowers and fruit arrived yesterday to all of us as a "thank you" from the Great K's folks. It was truly magnificent.

Mowing has been happening all over the valley with the verges of the lane way now being clipped to a very respectable level. Uncle R was due to come this morning to do some things around the place but as it was raining when he called to check, he's been rescheduled to another day. I do miss his whipper-snippering though. It just finishes off the job - helping make Latimers look as good as it can.