Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 88 (Thursday)

It's been a while since we have been to dinner on Trivia Night at the Local - but there we were tonight - and the Emcee gave us a really big enthusiastic welcome - even though she knew that we don't play. Attendance is down a little which she thought was either due to her (unlikely) or that there are a heap of other trivia nights now on offer in the area. But is was fun to be there again and to answer questions knowing we wouldn't publicly be putting our trivia knowledge on the line. S is very good at it though - and any team would be lucky to have her. Hmmm ... maybe we can start farming her out for a fee as the "trivia secret weapon".

By the time I arrived home this afternoon, Pearl, all fresh from a bath and dry-off, had already had the ball thrown to her a few times so wasn't particularly interested in doing it again. But, true to form, she did race out to meet me at the car when I drove in to let me know she hadn't forgotten me. And, in a change from the normal, she didn't have either the moose or the ball with her - it was a squeaky football toy tonight.

After the reports of the UFO here yesterday, I should have been ready for tonight's sighting ... the moon - which hasn't been visible for some time. It would have been nice if it had been full moon - it's about half moon - but it was great to see it again. "The moon is in the sky." Someone used to say this when they were a child - and both S and I remember it as being someone different. Maybe they both said it.

The massive pothole on the way in remains unfilled and at this rate we're going to lose a car into it. Some of the patching on the other holes is starting to come apart already - a day later - so we can just hope that we don't have any more torrential rain in the immediate future. Does bitumen settle if you leave it?

And what's worse than finding a spider on the ceiling ... not finding the same spider on the ceiling when you come back into the room a few minutes later. Not quite sure where it went but I am definitely checking all my clothes BEFORE I put them on, and shoes ... and everything else. I am also practicing being very calm as I flick away the "thing" crawling on my neck so it doesn't startle me - or it - too much. I'm now unsure whether it's spiders or snakes that I'm more scared of ... or things starting with other letters of the alphabet.

Lars' new registration sticker has arrived - together with another photo of him - this time crossing the Gateway Bridge without paying his toll. I could follow it up with them - since we did have a toll doodad but I can't be positive that it beeped when we went through the toll point ... ah well, at this rate we are going to have a very nice album of official photos of him. Quite historic as this, the second one ever, has him in his old clothes (NSW registration).

Brisbania was mostly fine today although there was some concern that the city would be swept away in the flood peak after the Wivenhoe Dam was opened to let some of the overflow out. The peak was due to hit at 2.36pm (how do they know that?) and while I was watching out for it at 2.10pm as I had my lunch ... and had made a note to come back to watch the huge wave surge through the city, I was busy printing out reports at the time and missed it ... the time that is - the flooding seems not to have eventuated. But such was the amount of debris in the river today, the River Cat services had been cancelled this morning and were unlikely to come back for the afternoon peak hour.

We have no such problems here at Latimers where the animals are fine (even coming in early last night again), folk are friendly, and the grass continues to grow.