Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wednesday

Apparently it takes three days for the Winter Solstice to happen ... and then the days will start getting longer. I am almost tempted to start walking around with my hoodie up/on/in place (what is the correct terminology?) and pretend that I am a Druid and see if anyone notices. Of course, with the hood, I can't actually see anything, so I wouldn't know - unless they said something. I saw someone who looked like a Druid once - it was in Scotland and Annie and I were walking through a forest in search of standing stones. (And no, I don't think the report I read today that someone has rearranged Stonehenge so it reads LOL is real.) It must have been amazing in olden times to be able to tell what people did from what they wore! Of course, that it possible to a certain extent now - as long as there are uniforms - or an equivalent "common" attire - involved.
M and S had a busy day today. As I was getting ready to go to work, S told me that M's sister-in-law had phoned last night because she and her husband were on the Gold Coast, staying at Jupiters, as the ash cloud from the Chilean volcano - now on its second tour of the globe - had prevented their flight from London landing in Sydney. They had been diverted to Brisbane and, since there was no accommodation there, they and other travellers had been bussed to Jupiters for the overnight stay. Hmmmm ... it makes you wonder about occupancy rates at Jupiters if they can accommodate 400-odd folk without bookings on a Tuesday night. A and R were both well - looking tanned too - and had had a lovely European Vacation, including having A's birthday dinner at Jamie Oliver's restaurant in London. But the visit was all too brief because A and R's departure time had been moved to an hour earlier and they had to get on the bus for the return to Brisbane Airport (and hopefully a flight back to Sydney) almost as soon as M and S arrived.
Then, after breakfast, M and S went off to bingo with Mouse (I received a message saying "winners are grinners" so knew they had done well) and then to lunch with S who is getting more and more excited about her Kokoda Challenge which is only a few weeks away now.
They arrived home just before I did - and I met S and M as they walked Pearl up the lane to the road. Then it was time for a quick cuppa and then back into The Big House for M and I - she for the draws and me for a few hands of CSP where the jackpot is now sitting at almost $195,000. As they say, you have to be in it to win it - and I am giving it my best shot - it's just a real shame work expects me to be there five days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment