Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wednesday

The first day of Winter ... and it feels like it. There is definitely a chill in the air and it is still getting darker in the mornings - which is to say that even though I am leaving just a tad later (well, some mornings at least) it is getting darker. I envy M and S and all the cats and Pearl still being tucked up nice and cosy in their beds. But coffee and toast awaits me at Zarraffas - wouldn't want to have them at Maccas given the bad press they have been getting recently about their bad coffee - so much so they have apologized to the public at large (and elsewhere). None of us could see in the reports whether the bad coffee was coming from the McCafes or from the general store.
Even S was up early this morning though because I was taking her into Broadbeach so she could meet up with M who had taken advantage of hotel accommodation to stay the night there. And we did have an early start because I was able to drop her off in there and still be at Zarraffas within minutes of the normal time. Hmmmm ... some would say that I am a creature of habit.
And speaking of creatures, I saw some the other night - although up until the point M called them creatures I had been thinking of them as animals. I spotted them as S and I were driving home and had just turned off Gilston Road - two of them, one bigger, one smaller - and they appeared to be dark brown (although it was nighttime and fairly hard to tell in the glare of the headlights) and round - and rolling along the street - and up the slight incline towards the corner. I had never seen anything like this and I was sorry that S hadn't seen them. We thought about going back but I knew that by the time I found a place safe enough to turn around in, they would be long gone. I'm chalking it up to just one of those mysteries of life ... and wondering whether this would be in the field of a cryptozoologist - those folk who are engaged in the study of hidden animals. Am I saying that I thought I saw a cryptid - the equivalent of a Yowie or Bigfoot or even the Loch Ness Monster - on the back roads of Latimers Crossing? I don't think so but I know I haven't seen anything like them before.
I remembered to take the ride-on-mower battery off the charger this morning and M says we will need to try it out fairly quickly to see if it working. That will be a job for tomorrow as it's too late to be starting a mower in the valley now. It would be a nice night for mowing though, although the gentle mist that has settled over the Latimer surrounds is probably making the grass wet and unmowable. The stars are nice to look at though but there were no cats or Pearl doing it tonight ... by the time M and I arrived home from Broadbeach, S had successfully put Latimers into lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment