Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday

It's still raining! Who would believe it? And it's a bit on the cool side as well - I think it’s supposed to get to 17 today. But it was definitely flannellette and ugg boot weather overnight. It was still a bit chill when I did the insulin shots and cookies at 6am - and I would have gone back to bed but after yesterday morning - when I did and had a huge nightmare just before I woke up (and I know this because the alarm went off just after I had consumed the rotten raw eggs rather than just before), I decided not to chance it.

We took the BMW out for a run today - to the Markets. It's sometimes subtle (like not having problems merging when changing lanes) but other drivers behave differently to a Beamer driver - although it may not be fair to compare given our usual car is a Volvo - and we know that some people would love to get all Volvos off the roads - especially those that are driven by people wearing hats - which we never do - in the rain.

Because it was raining today, everyone that had ventured out (and there were not a lot of them) to the Markets were undercover. When we arrived - and we were the first of our (depleted) group, there was only one table free - right at the start of the undercover section - and there was a nice fresh breeze blowing through there. By the time the others arrived, some tables had opened up, and we were able to move up to our usual section into relative warmth - but not enough and Mi was kind enough to loan me her wrap - on the proviso that I gave it back to her when she had her massage.

Even the entertainment was undercover with us - a man and his didgeridoos, harmonica, drums and guitars. I should have thought to ask if he did requests - because it would have been nice for him to have burst into a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" when A and Mi brought out the birthday cake for S. A had made it, and Mi had remembered the candles ... and there was a choice - 6 candles or just two - one with a big “6” the other with a big “0”. In the end we decided just the two would do! It was a wonderful cake - and most of us had a second coffee each (not shared) to mark the occasion!

The big news of the day is that the Big Pineapple has re-opened. The didgeridoo guy told us - and he knew because he played a gig there yesterday.

And we found out that Sporties is having a sale from M - who had been there and bought his body weight in shoes. A had a photo of M's shoes on her phone - showing the ten pairs he had machine-washed yesterday. Impressive. As was the sale with up to 70% off Merrells and other well-known (and comfortable) shoe brands.

Back at Latimers, The Plovers (sounds like a name for neighbours and I suppose they are) are still nesting in Hermes' paddock and are now very protective of their territory. The last couple of days when Pearl and I walked past on the way to B's, they have been strafing Pearl - although, obviously without the gunfire - would "dive-bombing" have been a better expression? I'm not sure why they haven't swooped me, but there's still time!

S watched and then recorded the Queen’s Jubilee Concert, broadcast this afternoon. I spent most of the afternoon pottering on the computer - learning a new design program and seeing what it could do. I am very happy with it, and now I just have to find some uses for it.

S made chicken and vegetable soup for dinner. I was looking forward to it - hoping it would have amazing restorative powers - I've had a scratchy throat all day, my tonsils are inflamed, my muscles have started aching, and now I've started sneezing. But I’ll be fine after S's soup! I was deep in something or other (watching television, downloading some files, and generally being involved in "stuff") and when I looked up, S was in the same place she had been at least ten minutes before - staring deep into the soup pot. She was waiting for it to come to the boil so she could then turn it down to a simmer - I couldn't resist it ... I told her I thought the television would be much more interesting to watch - and she said she knew, it was about young nuns, but it was okay because she was recording it.

Just off to call Maggie in out of the rain now so I can crawl into bed! Here Maggie, Maggie, Maggie ...ah, there she is! Lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment