Friday, August 16, 2013

Thursday - batteries and breezes

It was quite a different start to the morning than I had imagined. In my mind, I was going to be up and dressed and out of the house by 7am, I'd have breakfast with Jo at Maccas at 8:45am and then be at Max's for my interview at 11:30 ... and most of that happened, just not all in a row like that, and not without some additional stuff thrown in.

Bohemia tree

I was late leaving the house ... when I went to go outside I noticed there was a heavy mist, and the sun was shining through the Bohemia tree throwing shafts of light through the foliage ... as Co commented on FaceBook "Are you having breakfast with God?" It was definitely worth a photo even though I doubted it would show up properly. It wasn't a patch on the real thing, mind, but it was pretty good.

Ready to leave then ... when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't. The NRMA (RACQ) said they'd send someone but that it could take up to 90 minutes for them to get there ... which at that stage was going to still leave enough time to get it fixed (hopefully it was just going to be a flat battery) and still make breakfast. I was out having a tea, about to set up the iPad and wait for the service vehicle to arrive when S popped her head out and asked if she could come to breakfast. I told her I wasn't sure if I was going it would depend on the service ... and as I said that she looked up to see the RACQ van driving through the front gate. Cue Pearl to start barking and to come out and see who it was.

Pa, the "serviceman", seemed to know her stuff and had the problem confirmed (dead battery) and fixed (new battery) $220 and a few minutes later. But she wasn't finished yet! M had put a call in to the RACQ as well so Pa could have a look at the 4 WD which didn't start last week, the battery was flat too but just needed a full charge ... so M drove it up to the RACQ mechanic at Highlands Park; I followed her and then brought her home to pick up the other car so she could go into town - her original plan - which meant S had time to get ready while we were gone. I had texted Jo to let her know I was running late so there were no issues there.

There were no other surprises in store for the morning, except that Jo's ex-husband ended up at Maccas as well - and Jo invited him to join us for coffee. It was all very civilised and adult - which surprised me since I still have some (very unresolved) anger issues about all that.

Not a kookaburra

S didn't want to hang around Nerang while I went to Max's so I dropped her back at home before I went in again. When I arrived back, Do was there ... and he spent the rest of the day slashing, mowing, whipper-snipping (whipper-snippering?) and weed killing. I know because I was out drinking in the sun, well the warmth anyway until the cool breeze came up. Did I say "breeze", I meant "gale". The kookaburras were around again this afternoon, fewer this time, but they seemed to be having a good feed in the yard.

M arrived home just as Do was leaving so she was able to have a catch-up and get the run-down directly from him. Then I drove her back to the mechanics so she could collect the car.

After a cuppa and a chat back at Latimers, M was off again - more card swiping and other business to be attended to! S and I settled in for another quiet evening with the furries, the television and Chagall - trying to ignore (without much luck) the all-pervasive election campaign coverage and political advertising.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment