Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 115 (Wednesday)

We are truly being blessed with a wonderful Spring and I'm not sure whether it's a function of this or something else that more and more people seem to be around in the mornings. There was a line at the coffee shop already by the time I arrived there just after 6.30! They make excellent coffee at this Zarraffa's and it opens at 6am but that can't be the only reason people beat a path to its door.

I am still enjoying thinking about "Red" and I'm not sure that I won't want to see it again when it comes out on DVD.

Pearl was very low-key when I arrived home this afternoon and didn't do her usual racing out with the ball to play "Fetch" or even "Throw". But she seemed okay besides that - although still doing some of that scratching.

S made wonderful "tired vege parcels" for dinner tonight and M joked that she could give some of the yoghurt and garlic accompaniment to Pearl - to help get some extra garlic into her and because she thought Pearl might enjoy it since she's having a fair bit of it now - both as freshly crushed garlic and as minced garlic out of a jar.

On the way home tonight I did manage to stop by Status Computers and have Malcolm (thanks M for the recommendation) take a look at my external hard drive which had stopped working. There was no magic smoke (when that leaves the device you can be sure it is dead) but there was a faint burning smell and the power adaptor kept getting quite hot - but, since the power light was coming on on the drive box, I figured there was still hope. Nada. No. Not a chance. Malcolm's testing showed the drive had been burnt out so that was that. Kindly, he didn't charge me for the investigation and I know that if I have a problem with any of my other computer stuff, I'm going there first! And recommending him to anyone who will listen.

Next stop was JB HiFi where I picked up a new replacement headset for the phone. Not sure where the other one is hiding but it is doing it quite convincingly. I was there in time to find out JB's were having a sale from 6-10pm, one night only, so I spread the news a little but chose not to wait (they were closing the store at 5.30 and re-opening at 6) because I knew a 20% discount on DVDs would be just a little too enticing and, dare I say, dangerous.

The swallow nest seemed quiet this afternoon - I think I was too late for the last feeding frenzy of the day. And I'm not sure if any of the other babies have been taking test flights out of the nest - especially after one of them was stranded outside from the nest for a while on Sunday morning when the interlopers came around.

And speaking of visitors, a large green frog seemed to be having a very nice time sitting on the path outside M's bedroom this evening. She saw it when she was out trying to get Tinker (that naughty Tinky Two-Shoes) in for the evening. I didn't tell her, when she showed me, that one of my recurring nightmares from childhood was when we lived on the farm and the back room and kitchen were covered in tiny green frogs - when I say nightmare I mean in the sense of "happened while I was awake" and terrified me ... as opposed to the time I slept-walk and fell into the sunken bathtub which, probably luckily, was full at the time. Hmmm ... stories for another day.