Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 131 (Friday)

Last day of the working week and I'm looking forward to a Latimers weekend. But before the weekend there's dinner at the Latin Quarter - a restaurant in Broadbeach which M had read about. Even though I can't remember what type of food it is - although I know it does start with an "A" - I am looking forward to it.

S confirmed when I asked when I arrived home that it is ... Algerian. I would never have guessed that - and hadn't on the numerous occasions during the day when I had tried to remember.

It was in the heart of Broadbeach - next to the cafe where we didn't have breakfast a couple of weeks ago. I drove the yellow breadbox in - which was good because on a Friday night, parking is at a premium in that part of town. We sat at a table nearest the footpath - giving it a wonderful cosmopolitan feel - until it started raining - just a little - but we just moved everyone a couple of feet into the restaurant, and then when it stopped, a couple of feet back out to where we had been.

Everyone was in good form - Mouse, M, F and M, S and I, and N's parents M and A. N has just finished her first week in the Nation's Capital and by all reports, she seems to be enjoying her relocation and new role. I predict she will go far - figuratively as well as literally since one of her aims is an overseas posting.

The food was good - but I'm still not sure what "Algerian" food is. The fare seemed to be a mix of different foods - Cajun Fish, Crepe Suzette (oops, should have taken more notice of the spelling on the menu) and Moroccan Cigars (which weren't really cigars at all but more like Lebanese Ladies Fingers - mince wrapped in pastry). Or perhaps that's what Algerian is - a melting pot of different cuisines - a melting pot of very delicious cuisines. It wasn't a late night but it was a good night. Thanks M for taking us - much appreciated.

Once home, Beazley and I settled in for our Friday post-dinner ritual and watched the end of the movie - tonight was the latest Indiana Jones film. I was almost tempted to stay up to watch the next one but given I am planning to be at OfficeWorks when the doors open in the morning, I called it quits "early". Beazley didn't seem to mind. And the others were all in and tucked up in their various sleeping positions as well - so they didn't mind either.