Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 134 (Tuesday)

It was threatening to rain this morning but managed to come to its senses before I left Latimers. Word from the Department of Meteorology is that we are in for a few wet days. M is looking forward to it so she can see if the roof fixings to date have caused any new leaks to develop. That's one thing about Latimers, and probably every other property that is bigger than your average suburban block - there's always some kind of maintenance required - and that's even before the mowing gets a look in!

We've off to see Harry Potter 7 tonight with F and M; we will be sans M though because she has business elsewhere and no amount of pleading, crying or begging would convince her to come with us instead - if we had tried; she seemed so resolute that we knew we would be wasting our time to try to change her mind.

The new Zarraffas has finally opened in Nerang and I am sitting t/here as I write this. Of course it is like every other Zaraffas, but that is part of the charm - it is the same yet different. The only problem with it, I think, is going to be a lack of parking spaces. When I drove in this afternoon, the car park was packed solid except for a single disabled parking space. Luckily someone was coming out as I was coming in or I would have had to resort to takeaway - or going across the way to Maccas. I did find myself wondering if Maccas had sent all their employees with cars over to park in the Zarraffas car park - as a way of protecting their McCafe turf. It does surprise me that in times of the not-yet-fully-recovered-fully from the Global Financial Crisis, a new coffee shop can compete so successfully across the road from an existing coffee establishment - and it's not like the McCafe fare is terrible!. There are currently a number of franchises for Zarraffas currently on offer throughout south-east Queensland so they obviously think the economy can sustain the business.

The mobile car detailing people were at work today and I decided it was time for Lars to leave the ranks of the great unwashed. They did an amazing job and suggested a wax and cut back next time which could do wonders with removing some of the scuff marks on Lars. I think it's definitely worth a go - even if I take myself off to the auto store and buy some - or find the can that I know is somewhere ... in the shed I think. Hmmm - maybe I need to give that more thought before I commit to it - I know I am still trying to find a couple of things in the shed some weeks later - but it is much more organised in there now.

We are almost to the end of the home-grown bananas. The bunch that has been hanging in the garage has been eaten or given away to the point where there are now only a few bananas left. They were yummy though.