Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 129 (Wednesday)

There's nothing quite like feeling unwell to help you realise when you're okay again. Although, truth be told, I could have done without the nightmares last night. It was my own fault of course! What was I thinking when I chose to watch the pilot episode of a new U.S. series "The Walking Dead"? I know what I was thinking as I watched it - none of it good! Where do they find the cash to produce this type of ... but wait ... I don't want to colour anyone's opinion of a program that could be the next big thing in television land.

Not surprisingly, life at Latimers continues. Thankfully there have only been good surprises like an invitation to the Dam's residents' barbeque and Pearl not hurting herself much when she made an awkward dismount from the yellow breadbox - aka the courtesy car M has while hers is repaired from past hurts.

The grapevine outside M's room continues to flourish and I understood why she had trimmed the longest tendril while I was out sick. Why do they say "out sick" when most people stay ''in" when they are sick? And why do they call it "under the weather" when people who are sick often don't go out in the weather, unless they are practicing the "soldier on" approach to illness. I will never understand the intricacies of the English language!

The kids have all been excellent with their lock-downs except for Tinker who was out fairly late last night but then, no shock here, made sure she was the first one tucked up on the couch this evening. She is exceedingly cute and in fact Kathy the cleaner asserts that Tink is the cutest of the Latimers animals. Some dispute this - as I'm sure the other animals would if they'd actually heard that remark.

Even though it's only been a few days everything is about ready for a good mow again. In Winter, M would caution me about being too enthusiastic with the mowing lest there not be enough left for Hermes to eat. Now, the same could be said but because the cutting leaves too much easily accessible grass. I hope Hermes understands the concept of moderation or of having some friends over.

We're inching ever closer to being able to play iPad scrabble new that S also has an iPhone. I'll miss the clicking of those scrabble tiles but we can recapture that with either a good game of mahjong (it has been an absolute age) or of the not-yet-played Banagrams where the game is played without a board but with tiles pulled from a yellow cloth banana bag.