Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Gateau and Gatsby

Morning television is absolutely wonderful. Had it not been for it this morning, I would never have heard of spicy spreadable salami (sounds different) or cronuts - a cross between a doughnut and a croissant. I didn't get to see photographs of either but I do have a mental image and I know that I am not even remotely interested in going anywhere near the spicy spreadable salami. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be delectable, just that at this point I don't think it's for me.

Birthday Baravois

Tr had set the alarm this morning and was on time for our Skype call. I almost had to cut the call short though because, while we were talking about S's birthday, I realised I had forgotten the candles for the cake - so much for making a mental note to not forget. Hmmm ... so on the way in to the Markets I stopped along the way and got some matches and some sparklers (mmmm .... sparklers). MontMartre French Patisserie came through with the cake/gateau - Strawberry Baravois - I had ordered it on Friday and they brought it along to the Markets, together with paper plates, napkins and forks ... and S liked it very much!

There was a good turnout at the Markets ... but we couldn't sit in our usual spot up the back because by the time we arrived the Gozleme folk had already set up there. It was overcast so I think they must have come in from the cold, or perhaps the Farmers Market administration is trying out new configurations.

Ni was there today, and S took the opportunity to ask her about tagine cooking - since Sy's requested birthday present is set to happen next weekend. S will have a test run during the week based on what Ni has told her - and the spices she's given her - authentic ones from France. When we called in to collect them, and a tagine book, we saw St - who has penned a response to the Trivia apology - and, given that he'd had some problems posting it, I've done it.

Maggie

We went to an afternoon session of The Great Gatsby ... and when I say "we", that means I went along too. And I'm glad I did. Baz Luhmann did an amazing and remarkable job. I wonder if I would have watched it any differently had I read the F. Scott FitzGerald novel before seeing it. That notwithstanding, what did I think of it? I'm still considering it. Mind you, I haven't finished working my way through The Croods, which S and I saw on Friday (before meeting the others at The Coffee Club for lunch). After seeing a synopsis on IMDB, I'm now seriously considering reading the book to see how it differs from the movie - and more on the character that is Nick Caraway.

I tried to get a photograph of Maggie on Pearl's bed but she was just passing through on her way to the top of the lounge. She let me take a photo there ... and she has lost absolutely none of her cuteness!

No comments:

Post a Comment