Sunday, May 22, 2011

Saturday

Well, the Rapture has not been to Latimers - and I'm not sure if it's visited anywhere else and to be absolutely honest about this, I'm not sure exactly what it is - except that it has something to do with religion - and something to do with ... the end of the world as we know it. One group in the States had put up billboards advertising the coming of the Rapture - their way of spreading the news and dealing with it; others have dealt with it their own way - one of my FaceBook Friends in the US re-posted a flowchart she had found entitled "Will You Be Raptured?". Of course, because the States is one day behind us (an international date line thing) we on this side of the world would, theoretically, have been affected first - but we still seem to be here. Mind you, and this is not to in any way devalue the concept of a Rapture, we do feel a little bit of rapture (a state of being carried away by overwhelming emotion; a state of elated bliss) because it is raining, and raining a fair bit. This is important because the tank needs to be full (we're not on town water here) when the bore water pump is "seen to". I'm not sure if that means it will be removed and examined and fixed (it keeps cutting out) or diagnosed in situ or even replaced - but M did mention that we needed it to rain to make sure we had enough water on hand for when whatever remedial work needs to happen takes place.
It was a good day today (notwithstanding some emotional upheaval as I came to realise that my sister is packing her goods and chattels and one of her two children) to move to Mt Isa - a very long way from Latimers - because it's "her time to fly". M offered to drive me to Toowoomba to see W - understanding that had I wanted to go I wouldn't have been able to make the drive - there's no way I could see through the veil of tears that kept overwhelming me. In the end, I spoke with W on the telephone and was able to tell her how I was feeling - and I felt much better after that - although still wrenched by the impending separation and the issues surrounding it. At times like this, though, it's good to have people around you who understand what your issues are (thanks S and M).
Otherwise, Rapture and separation notwithstanding, it was a good day. Mouse came to breakfast with us - as did Pearlie - at Coffee Sisters and it was up to its usual high standard.
It was a low-key afternoon and S managed to do a good round of paper reading while I sat with Emma so she could have some outside time. She enjoys it - especially since she seems to be feeling slightly off colour again. I can't see any pattern to her being unwell - although I am now starting to look for them ... wondering if it might be the cat food she's having or which water she's drinking. We'll keep a close eye on her for the next little while.
The animals were entertaining tonight. Pearl wanted to go to bed but didn't want to go into M's room so I made her comfortable out with me so she could watch some television. Beasley came too and settled himself into his new man bed - which is a snug fit ... so much so that as I watched him getting comfortable he rolled over - and out of the man bed. He didn't do that usual cat thing of looking around, embarrassed lest someone had seen it happen; he just hopped back in and settled himself down again. Everyone was in at lock-down - and just as well - because that meant none of them was caught in the almost torrential downpour which started only moments later. It doesn't get much better than this.