Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday

What a gorgeous day here on the Gold Coast - far too nice to be inside working - or to be sick at home which is where S was after beginning to feel not well this morning and more so on the way to work - so like the true friend she is, M turned the car around and drove her (okay, them) home. S was feeling a bit better by this afternoon but confirms coming home was the right decision because there was no way she could have been on the phone all day given the way she was feeling. And since that is what the job is, she was probably right to give it a miss.
I had a great day at work - one of those where it's busy but not frantic. And, as the article I read while I was having my breakfast reminded me - it's better to work hard than work long. This is a lesson that sometimes takes people a while to grasp - that it's not about how long you are physically "at work" but how much you achieve by being there.
The stars are absolutely stunning this evening. It we had one of those hammocks that are suspended from steel poles, rather than between trees, I'd be out there now just staring up at the night sky and drinking it all in. The Southern Cross, the Big Dipper, the Milky Way, passing aircraft - it doesn't get much better than this.
Well, there's a mystery solved! I had been wondering where I might find my ticket if by some chance I happened to win the Mater Prize Home. I knew I had put it somewhere safe but then lots of things are "somewhere safe" which is another way of saying they will never be seen again. But not this time - probably because as we approached "tax time" (for last year) I have been making a concerted effort to keep things "together" and "findable". Alas, you can't have everything and while I now have the ticket, the prize was drawn last week and there's been no word. Ah well ... it can go in the bin together with the rest of the papers I have been saving but which aren't needed for the tax.
The foal is starting to get quite big now and still doesn't have a name - and won't before they decide on her racing name. M was saying that will soon be thinking of separating the two of them, and I can't imagine how stressful that is going to be for both of them - which could be for the horses but also for M and L. They are incredibly attached to their animals, especially those horses.