Friday, February 10, 2012

Thursday

It was lovely driving out of Latimers this morning. The full moon was hanging over the hill at the back of Latimers,  full yet pale against the darkening blue of the sky.  There was a mist (not the Stephen King variety) hanging over the next valley which looked wonderful from the distance.   Closer to Latimers,  there was a little mist but more just wisps playing above the cows.   One of L's horses has its head through the hole between the top and second rails of the fence.   At first I thought it might be stuck because there didn't look to be any grass it was reaching for but as I watched I could see what it was doing - scratching its neck against the wood of the rails - and from the amount of scratching it was doing,  it was fairly itchy.  Sweetie,  in the paddock next door, was paying it some attention and I was glad it was scratching and not wind-sucking. We don't want her picking up any bad habits. 

I made it out of the Latimers lane and on to the road before the cyclists came powering past.   It's a while since I've seen them out in such force (was it Tour de France time?) and I felt the need to flash my lights once at oncoming traffic to let them know there were cyclists ahead - yes,  I know they would not have known that it was specifically cyclists but they may have realised that there was some kind of hazard ahead and not speed blindly around the Latimers corners. 

So,  I was very much enjoying the drive along the main road - I'd seen a gentle and beautiful start to the day,  marvelled at the stamina of cyclists,  noticed that the relative position of the sun in the sky was changing which means the days are getting shorter, was again puzzled about the orientation of Lattimers and how I seem to be driving into the sun even when I am sure I am driving north - and was then rudely dragged out of this whole "being one with the world" when I passed two teenagers standing beside the road with their surfboards and one raced towards the car and tried to spit on it - poor Lars - but luckily he missed! I considered a range of actions in response but in the end contented myself by waving a finger at them as Lars and I drove off.  

S and I went off to dinner at the local tonight - Trivia Night - and allowed ourselves to be talked into actually playing trivia.   As the woman who runs it told us: it's taken two years but I knew you'd come around.   We came third - which surprised us as we did very poorly on all the music questions - and who knew that the longest shotput on record wasn't over 100 metres; it was closer to 30 but luckily S talked me out of putting it as an answer otherwise that may have looked less than intelligent. She wasn't able to convince me not to put "rat" as the (incorrect) answer to "What is Bombay Duck?" - her suggestion (she wasn't sure of it but could have been as that was the correct response) was "fish".

While we were off there,  S and Mi were off with 4,998 other people watching Rod Stewart at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.  Mi posted a photo on FaceBook and it looked as though there were just about sitting on stage with him!  It was, by all reports, a fabulous concert and I now regret not having entered S and I in the Hot Legs competition to try and win tickets to the show!  

No comments:

Post a Comment