Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sunday

This is our last full day with H and we packed a fair bit in - which is not only talking about my posterior and the plastic moulded seat of the Go Kart! But let's start at the very beginning.

After not nearly enough sleep - I'm blaming the actual staying up to watch the Shark vs Octopus movie rather than any nightmares that might have ensued from their battle - I clawed my way awake to feed Emma - and then crawl straight back into bed thinking I could get at least another hour's sleep before I had to get up to do the Skype call with T. M was sleeping down the back (H was in her bed) - also catching up on zzzz's after a not very restful night (teenagers kick, I was assured when we passed in the hall) but said she would start her morning ablutions so I could make my call from down there rather than have to go outside. It dawned very wet and fairly cold today - so I was grateful for the offer. It's good to see the rain - we badly need it at Latimers.

We made it to the Markets - but we were as late as Mi and F were - which is not like us really (it could be like them!). It was the usual markets crowd and we had our usual table - the oddity this time though was that they had a live group playing some quite good music about 30 yards from us ... it made conversation a little difficult but it provided some lovely ambiance.

After Markets (which are very slow in that last half hour leading up to closing time - they may be thinking of going back to their earlier hours) we had a couple of stops, including lunch, before heading off to the Go Karts. There are at least two tracks on the Gold Coast - one under cover, the other not - and because it had been raining and was still raining in patches, we decided we would try out the undercover one - with a smaller track admittedly but which wouldn't kick road grit over the drivers necessitating a change of clothes and possibly even a new set of clothes.

Of the three of us who fronted the Karts - one was experienced (H), one had ridden before (M) and one had never (me!) and was a little concerned, from a safety point of view, that they required you to sign a waiver (of all your rights), and then gave you karts where the fuel tank was between your knees and there was no seatbelt. But H had great fun - and that's what it's all about. (Even though my legs were a little wobbly as I got off - and my arms tired - why don't they fit power steering to these things? - I felt much steadier than last week when I went on the Batman ride - aka huge yo-yo-type ride.)

We finished with a cup of coffee at the nearby Zarraffa's, then a trip to the DVD store (have they officially stopped calling them video stores now?) to get some films for H for this evening - which he's spending at home with his Nana - and then we dropped him at home, picked up our car and came home ourselves, while M and Me went to the premiere of a new Australian film (based on a true story) "The Cup"!

No comments:

Post a Comment