Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sunday - Markets and J. K. Rowling

It would have been nice to sleep in this morning but I hadn't thought ahead to reschedule Tr's Skype call. S, on the other hand, had no reason to get up early and as she'd had another bad night, she decided to sleep ... and give the Markets a miss. She was missed though ... we could have used her to boost the numbers since there were only seven of us ... which is probably one of the smallest groups I can remember. But it wasn't small enough not to have dissent - While Fl and I wanted to sit outside in the sun; most of the others didn't but they let us - and sought shade under paper hats, Mouse's umbrellas (she is the only person I know who carries three!) - and then the large outdoor umbrella that Fl and I "borrowed" from The Last Post Cafe's outdoor setting. I'm not sure we'll get the opportunity to sit outside in the sunshine again until we can work out a way of making sure that there is shade available to those who want it.

Small umbrellas!

After the Markets, when I phoned S to see if she was up and about and okay ... she was ... and she was hungry and in the mood for Fish and Chips. And as all Fish and Chips are not created equal, and because S loves her fish so much (and she's considerate enough of the Pisces in the house not to cook it in the house) I went to the Benowa Fish and Chip place to get her some fresh Snapper. It was good too because it gave me a chance to do some shopping ... and, if I'd known M happened to be there at Zarraffas, I would have stopped in for a coffee with her as well but as it was I managed to get a few more pages of JK Rowling's new book, as published under the name Robert Galbraith. Tr and I had talked about it this morning ... including why she published under a boy's name. I had read something about that crime/murder sells better if it's seen to be written by a male so I suggested it was a marketing decision. Then Tr asked what the ''K" stood for in "JK Rowling"! Neither of us knew ... so we went to the internet ... and were very surprised to see that "J'' and "K" are not Ms Rowling's initials. She has no middle name and therefore no middle initial. And, to further make the point about how these things happen, Wikipedia advised that the Potter book publishers deemed boys might not want to read books written by "Jo" Rowling - so they suggested initials - and she took the "K" from her paternal grandmother.

Big umbrella!

S and I had a quiet afternoon in. I thought about jumping onto ROM for a mow but it's still far too wet and soggy underfoot for that to be possible without tearing up the lawn.

M and Mouse were in at The Big House for the draw this afternoon - taking their chance to be a "Millionaire". They weren't it this week but they still have four more chances over the coming weeks ... although hopefully it won't seem like they're there for hours next time ... although they will be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment