Friday, January 6, 2012

Thursday

Sometimes you just have to prise people out of bed for their own good - and this morning was one of those days.  When the alarm went off at the agreed 7am, S wanted to roll over and go back to sleep but we were at The Big House and the pool was downstairs, and even though she couldn't hear it calling (her), I could.  She loves a swim and since this was one of the rare occasions when the pool was open (it's usually closed when we stay there - and it was due to close this afternoon at 3pm so they can get ready for this weekend's Pool Party),  it seemed a shame to miss out due to a small dose of ... I was going to say lethargy but that's not fair given S was awake for a few hours during the night - but that's even more reason to jump into the pool for an invigorating swim.

She did succumb and she first spa-ed with Atticus and Ajax and their father. It's good to have young ones to go across to press the Spa button when it goes off - and I really didn't mind that it did me (reading the Courier Mail on the iPad) out of a job.  Then it was time for a dip in the pool and she really seemed to enjoy it although the water must have been "bracing" because she didn't linger in there.  

And just as well,  because unbeknownst to us,  M was waiting at Spinners to have breakfast with us.  She had sent a text message to tell us but even though it showed as "delivered" on her iPhone,  it hadn't been.   So it was lucky that S had felt like a raisin toast before we left The Big House otherwise M might still be there. 

I didn't have toast because I was saving myself for Yum Cha with the Banks Family at Mandarin Court,  Mermaid Beach. We haven't seen them for a bit and the kids,  one boy,  one girl,  have grown - and are very cute.   This obviously wasn't their first Yum Cha because N,  the younger one,  just 3,  did a very good job of wielding - and eating with - chopsticks.   Admittedly there was a bit of stab and skewer movement happening but he was still doing it.  They had to be off at 11 so the kids would have a sleep in the car and set them in non-cranky mode for the rest of the day.   

And that seemed like a good enough strategy for us too.   We took ourselves off to Budds Beach and stretched out the picnic rug for S to have a lie-down and,  as it turned out,  a very nice sleep. 

My doughnut obsession is cured - after I was fed to one today.  Of course, it wasn't really a doughnut,  it was an MRI (just to be on the safe side).   I remember joking with the person when I made the appointment when she asked if I was claustrophobic:   "No,  but I do get nervous in small spaces."  That's the problem with jokes ... "many a true word said in jest".   And surprisingly,  it's a waste of energy to have a "fight or flight" response when you're "trapped" in an MRI machine.  All my efforts to mentally put myself in another, happy place failed,  especially when she injected the dye (part of the diagnostic procedure) and told me there was a chance I would get a slight metallic taste in my mouth - what she didn't tell me is that it would be just like the taste I get in my mouth before I throw up.   Joy,  oh joy:  don't hyperventilate, don't scream, don't vomit and try to convince yourself that even with all that cold air, you don't really need to go to the bathroom! It was fantastic when it was over and I really hope that's the only one of those I ever have to have.   While I was in there,  though,  I couldn't help but think of everyone we know (and those we don't) who have been MRI-ed and how difficult it must have been for them,  but that it is fantastic that we have the technology to be able to do such amazing diagnositc imaging. 

Just as we were coming down the drive past N and B's, S received M's text about her being able to feed the cats if we wanted to go and sit near water (it always calms me - hence Budds Beach this morning).  We didn't respond - except for waving as we came in through the gate! 

The CSP jackpot is up to over $ 410,000 now and,  predictably,  it is getting harder,  especially as we are still on holiday break, to get a seat at the table.   The decision to change the  second table to a $15 minimum bet does thin out some of the punters,  but not many,  and given they have been forced to do manual dealing on the other table  - which takes considerably longer (read: forever) than the dealing "machine" - some people seem happy to choose the $ 15 table instead. 

M had a case of yawns in the car on the way home - which she was kind enough to share - and we pondered what causes yawns - because no-one yet seems to have come up with the definitive answer.  Is the brain too hot?  Is it a social phenomenon? Is it boredom (possibly not because parachuting folk have been known to yawn before their first jump). We are no closer to knowing . . .  but we can say that the hares are still about on Gilston Road - or at least "a" hare, as sighted on the way back to Latimers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment