Saturday, February 22, 2014

Friday 21 February

You would think I would learn that late nights and school nights are not suited - but still I never seem to get the message completely. Sooz said she walked by at some time after 11 and my light (and iPad) was still on - and she didn't want to say anything just in case I was in those last minutes of getting ready to go to sleep (some nights you do have to prepare yourself) and I wish I could have told her I was … but I stayed up for at least another half hour after.

Paranormal chairs

I paid for it this morning though … the late night and the humidity put me in a zone where I needed to be mentally challenged otherwise it was hard to stay focused and attentive.

I was able to do that during the Men's Cross Ski at the Sochi Winter Olympics - which I watched during breakfast at Maccas - where in one race three competitors fell as they approached the finish line - and they needed to have a photo finish to see which of them had skidded across the line first - into second place … and it was the one with the first body part over - it couldn't be a ski or stock. For some reason I couldn't help but think of Steve Bradbury in the men's ice racing at a previous Olympics.

And no, I don't know why it is that the chairs were on the table in the meeting room this morning!

Sooz and I almost went to see “Last Vegas” tonight but we just went out for dinner instead. While we were there she said she wanted me to order a book for her from Amazon …. the latest Ann Patchett. I listened - and then asked if she didn't want me to download it. She apparently hadn't given that a thought - and just in this instance she was happy to not have to “delay gratification” - although that can sometimes be a wonderful thing - waiting for the book to arrive by mail. I checked both iBook and Kindle - and took the cheaper by $5 option. It's always good to check the competition!

When we arrived back at Latimers - it was still only just after 7 - yes, we definitely had the early sitting at dinner - we settled down together to watch “The Living Room” before Sooz went off to read her book and I settled in to watch some more of the Olympics - the Women's Cross Ski. I must admit I now have more of an appreciation of how long (or short) a micro-sleep is - or I was dozing my way through whole races. Finally, not able to stay awake a minute longer, I dragged myself into bed - being careful not to rouse Tinka sleeping on the floor at the foot of the bed, Maggie who was on M's bed, or Pearl asleep in the breezeway.

Today is the last day of the Russians' visit. Tomorrow they jet back to the HomeLand - hopefully having had a wonderful time. The boys are no longer sunburn bright red on their faces … which you would expect them to be given they have spent so much time in the water during this visit. They loved the waves!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment