Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wednesday 12 February

Bees and tree

It was an interesting walk down to B's shed (the old one ... not the huge one that's just about finished further down in the property) this morning. When I arrived there I could hear buzzing - like bees - and sure enough, the tree there was covered with them. Between that and the commotion of a flock of cockatoos flying over, it was a loud wildlife wake-up call. Love it! The horses weren't out yet ... except for the three in L's paddock and, there are no prizes for guessing this correctly, Choo Choo was in the shelter ... windsucking! I hope the others don't pick up the habit from her.

Maccas had the Sochi Winter Olympics on again this morning and, after checking out the photograph of Jo's son in the paper - he plays for the Brisbane Lions, I settled in to work on "the letter" - trying not to be distracted by the sport or the captions:

  • First crash in the training rub.
  • Her ride was subsuppesh.
  • She'll fight for good ear.
  • It doesn't translate out tonne the flat.

(I really have to stop watching the teletexts for the errors.)

Has anyone noticed that the Winter Olympics - especially the half-pipe events - is a bit like the Hunger Games ... no, not because of the injuries - because if it was the Hunger Games there would be lethal injuries aplenty - but because of the huge screens which show head shots of the competitors as they are about to start their runs. (Na and An-Ma thought so too.)

Even though I thought Maggie had settled for the night last night - she didn't stay asleep - when M arrived home Maggie decided it was time for a play - and I don't know what kind of rough-housing the two of them were up to but M texted today to say that she hoped that it hadn't woken us. (That being said, I can report, from my being up at 3.30 am that at that stage everyone was sleeping soundly (huck-phew, huck-phew) except for Tinka who was purring (also loudly) but, surprisingly, not asking for cookies.

Sooz cooked again tonight - from Monday's meat tray. I thoroughly enjoyed last night's sausages and rissoles with veggies (and again for lunch today) ... and tonight was beef curry! We finally opened the Daniel Stuart Chutney which almost made it to being a Christmas present but, in the end, we're going to be the ones to enjoy it.

It was heads-down all day at work as we continue on the search for "missing" dollars. The great thing is that most of my Excel learnings are coming back to me [=subtotal(9,U203:U700)] and I'm realising that I want to learn more: for example, a formula that would result in IF Cell1 equals Cell2 then let Cell3 be the same as Cell4 - which could then be applied over the 50,000 rows of the spreadsheet - or for Supplier A subtotal the Cost Codes ... ouch, my head hurts just trying to figure out how you would describe this ... which means I am a very very long way indeed from being able to apply Excel logic to it.

The girls made it to Bingo today but there were no "Winners are Grinners". Afterwards, rather than lunch at Daniel Stuart, they met the Russians in the Australia Fair Food Hall. This is the first time Sooz has met the Russians and when I asked her what they were like, she didn't tell me ... saying she would let me decide for myself. Hmmmm. I don't have much time to do that ... they're leaving Saturday week. But Mouse is planning to do a dinner ... not quite sure when ... so that might be when I get to meet them ... unless we putt putt or something before then. They're off to Rainbow Beach, Currumbin Bird Sanctuary and possibly one of the Worlds for the rest of the week!

Maggie cuddled up on me on the couch this evening after dinner ... she seemed very comfortable and it was a shame but I eventually had to move her so I could do the cleaning up (why is the dishwasher not doing a good clean these days - I made sure I had it on the regular cycle) and finish watching the latest episode of "The Walking Dead" (TWD). I think I would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been a bit ... psychological ... yes, I know there is a place for that in some programs but not in TWD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment