Sunday, July 13, 2014

Saturday

Sooz poked one toe out of the bed this morning and decided it wasn't for her. Not that I could blame her - it was pretty cold - the coldest morning we've had all week (and about 103 years apparently) And people don't just have to take my word for it ... Lars saw it too ... or 2! I wonder if he shows negative temperatures as well? That would be one reason to visit Toowoomba - according to the Weather app, it was -5 there this morning!

Lars ... 2!!!

If Sooz had been with me she might have seen the hot air balloon drift to earth and then the balloon crumple slowly in on itself. Magnificent from a distance... I can't imagine what it would have been like up close, and with a view uninterrupted by trees.

Shooting was great! We did NRA Kindy again - with Rob. It is such a safe, well-run session that you would be hard-pressed to find anything better. Now that we have done NRA a couple of times, I am feeling way more confident about doing "gun talk" - and today I correctly identified a Derringer in the gun display case - although it had an extended barrel and a lady could find this one difficult to conceal in a delicate little clutch or in a silk garter.

The focus for me today, thanks to my Safety Officer, was trigger control. We were shooting double-action revolvers (again) and the trick is keeping the gun steady while you aim and shoot. If you "pull" as opposed to "squeeze" the trigger, it can have a dramatic effect on whether where you aim is where the bullets hit. I was pleased with my impromptu coaching - and out of 48 rounds, managed to hit an X (the black circle in the middle of the target) 14 times (17 if you could the three which penetrated on the line) - and this was from a variety of stances (left hand, right hand, both hands - and thank you but, no, I won't be lying down) and distances!

I saw something printed with a 3D printer for the first time today. It was a "doover" for fitting to a gun to ... well, I think I heard them say what it was for but I am none-the-wiser. It goes near the breach.

There was a recipe on the net this morning for slow-cooker Apricot Chicken. AMc (whose birthday it is tomorrow) and I, when we shared the flat in Double Bay, would call it AC/DC Chicken - because it was cooked two ways - how we did it anyway. And that's what Sooz and I had for dinner tonight. It was definitely way better than we used to make!

Sooz resisted all efforts to get her out of the house today - she did washing and pottering, while I did computer stuff and then had a nap. It was good Mi phoned, otherwise I would probably still be asleep - I had already slept through two alarms. She rang to say she couldn't meet us at the Markets in the morning, so it looks like we're not going again. We are missing it - the ambiance and catching up with folk. It's a nice way to starHerd the week.

M Skyped this afternoon. All is well over there and she is looking forward to coming home. We caught a glimpse of Mouse too and she is looking much better.

Full moon comes around quickly and there was another fantastic Super Moon this evening. It was or would have been a great hunting moon... if it wasn't so cold! The furries were all tucked up early... together with the humans!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment