Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tuesday

The Choir ... moments away.

How could I have got it so wrong? Who knew that a lovely evening out listening to Kings College Choir would turn pear-shaped even before we left the house. It was my fault (sorry Sooz) but right from the start when I booked the tickets I just couldn't get it into my head when the concert was on. At first I thought it was on on 27 July but in the middle of July Sooz said to me ... was I sure? I checked - yes, I was sure, but the concert was on the 29th. Okay, at least we hadn't missed it. But, that didn't mean the possibility wasn't there. I had prepared Sooz for a 5:45 leave from home, we'd do the drive to Brisbane (in no-name-car), have a leisurely dinner and be in our seats for when the concert started at 8:30. Luckily I checked the tickets when I arrived home ... the concert started at 7 - and it was already just after 5. Panic? Panic? Yes, of course I went into a panic. It takes an hour to drive to Brisbane at the best of times, and if there was any kind of traffic blockage, there was a good chance we wouldn't make it in time. Especially when I grabbed the GPS from Lars and then realised there wasn't a cigarette lighter in the car - so nowhere to plug in the flat GPS. Sooz did find one likely candidate but I was fairly sure (and wrong as it turns out) that it wasn't it. Anyway, I had my iPhone and Siri (and Sooz) came to the rescue. We made it to QPAC, parked the car, and were in our seats with three (yes, only three) minutes to spare.

The concert was amazing ... they sang Faure's Requim - which Me and Be had at their wedding ... it is an amazingly wonderful piece and those voices just carried it to the sky.

We did manage to have supper at the little place outside QPAC before we drove home. And because the concert wasn't as late as I thought it would be, we were home well before midnight. But it was totally amazing and wonderful ... and I can't imagine how much better it would have been had I managed to get the details right.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment