Friday, July 4, 2014

Thursday

Somebody was busy yesterday, and I'm thinking it was Jason. All the tree/shrubs down the lane had been pruned - and their branches are still where they fell, waiting to be collected. It's amazing you can take off a tree and still have it not seem to have been touched ... I guess there is a real skill in that as the Latimers Lemon tree can attest. You can absolutely tell that it has been pruned.

Pruning down the lane

Je came today ... she had phoned on Tuesday night to see whether we would prefer her to come on Wednesday or Thursday. We decided it didn't really matter ... although I was curious about the question because I thought it had been decided that she would come on Wednesday. It doesn't matter though, especially as she has agreed to take over from Ka while she is away in Thailand.

Sooz offered to cook meat tonight (that is not a euphemism for "you know what" in this instance) but I said no, and took her out to Advancetown Hotel instead. Yes, it all had to do with me not wanting to clean the griller when she was done ... but I thought it would be nice for her to have a night off as well. She has been doing a fair bit of cooking lately and - somewhat totally altruistically - I don't want her to get sick of it.

Sooz's favourite - crumbed lamb cutlets - was on the menu and she had that. I had the roast, eschewing the "No Soup Nazi Here" signed soup and roast deal. The lamb cutlets were very much to Sooz's liking - and she, somewhat reluctantly I thought, agreed to give me a taste (a swap for some of my crunchy outside bit of the lamb) ... which I also liked. But I loved my lamb - and the vegetables - including (wait for it) peas and pumpkin. And the gravy was pretty good as well - not the thick glubby sauces we have come to know and "love" at various pub and club-type eateries.

The bonus was that Thursday night Trivia was on and we played along without actually playing. We were almost stymied by an anagram - the three word name of an American celebrity: SEEN ALIVE SORRY PAL. I would love to take credit for getting it but it was a (prolonged) joint effort by Sooz and I. I didn't tell her and I'm not sure if she noticed but I actually had a quick nana nap during the deliberations.

We've been doing the SMH Trivia quiz most days ... and we are now wondering why Trivia is so forgettable - especially since it's something we who do regular Trivia play, are keen to remember. We realised how bad it was though when we were trying to remember the Trivia questions from earlier in the night ... and sometimes we could remember the answer which (Jeopardy-style) led to the question but it was a very poor score.

Still, it's of the same ilk of my effort today. I filled Lars at lunchtime - and after I went in to the service station to pay the bill, I went to get some lunch at a shop down the way ... and it was only after I had had a sit-down lunch (at least 20 minutes) - to have a proper break from the office - and came outside to drive back to the workhouse, I realised I had left Lars parked at the pump. Definitely not like me but it is EOM and that has a way of doing odd things to a person.

Have I mentioned I love the electric blanket? Hmmm ... what happened with the electric dog bed M bought Pearl some time ago ... is it still at Latimers? I think Pearl might be just about ready to give it another try.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment