Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday

Do you know those mornings when you wake up and realise - with a great deal of joy and relief - that it's actually the weekend? Well, it definitely wasn't one of those today. I think I even dreamed that it was "still only Friday" - and that realisation was still with me when I woke. D'oh. I think part of it was that it actually felt like it should have been Friday yesterday ... but it wasn't! More d'oh.

It is definitely getting chillier in the mornings - and Sooz and I are going to have to give some serious thought about whether it's time to start putting Pearl's nightie on yet. We know it's getting colder because the other day as we stood in line at Target Southport Park, I pointed to the hot water bottles complete with covers and Sooz nodded that, yes, that would be a good thing to buy - until I reminded her that we had already gone bigger than that - with the electric blanket from Harvey Norman the week before last! It hasn't yet made it onto the bed - but it will!

Morning walkies

It was dark this morning as Pearl and I walked down the lane. Can dogs see in the dark? I don't think Pearl is bad at it ... well, certainly not as bad as I am - she had lingered behind to take care of business and when I looked back, I couldn't see her. For a moment I thought she had turned around and gone home! But no, she was there, and she came ... not running but not dawdling either ... when I called her when I noticed Am's car on the way down.

It's a bit of a dilemma ... Maggie has started going out first thing of a morning - and I don't mind that, as long as Tinka doesn't go out - and I pop her breakfast up the back so she can have it when she's ready. But what to do when Tinka finds Maggie's broth first - and then proceeds to lick all the "broth" off, leaving just the meat? I know we are supposed to not have Tinka lose any weight but I don't think it should be at Maggie's expense.

There was a new horse in one of La's paddocks this morning. Maybe it was just that it was (still) dark but it appears to be mottled - or is "dappled" a better descriptive word for horses?

I have learned something today - the SMOG* index - which has nothing to do with pollution but more to do with ease of reading. I stumbled across it when I did a "Select All" in a writing app I've had for some time but only just gone back to. This blog piece has a SMOG of 8.4 - and I could tell you how many different parts of speech were used ... and that there are 40 "determiners" - whatever they are - if it was in the least bit interesting!

Sooz had a quiet potter around home today, did some washing, and she felt much better after a decent night's sleep. I think the kids enjoyed having her home too - and Sooz was very pleased that Je had come yesterday (she was due on Wednesday but had rescheduled).

We had a BBQ at work today - organised by one of the subcontractors. Luckily AC was there - she checked they had catered for the numbers expected and have something besides sausage, onions and bread. She suggested some drinks, green stuff, tomatoes; they thought of the chocolates all by themselves. After the BBQ, we returned to work - until Ma came out and sent AC and I home - since most of the others had already gone - except Be who had thought he was leaving, but as it turned out, he wasn't.

You have to love an early start to a long weekend!

*The SMOG grade is a measure of readability that estimates the years of education needed to understand a piece of writing. SMOG is the acronym derived from Simple Measure of Gobbledygook.

No comments:

Post a Comment