Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday

Saturday. Shooting day. I was up and out of the house just after 7 and on my way to grab a quick coffee and toast before going to the Pistol Club. I met Syl there and we had the choice of two Kindys - Blackpowder or NRA. I really wasn't sure which I wanted to do so when Syl said NRA, that was good enough for me. We did go along to look at Blackpowder though and I was impressed by the very large Non-Smoking sign at the entrance to their range. The description they gave reminded me of loading and firing an old-fashioned musket. From the NRA range next door, we could hear the Blackpowder weapons being fired, and see the huge puffs of smoke: given the guns they were using seemed a foot long, easy.

We did our club orientation today and that was interesting - especially as we learned about the different disciplines the Club has to offer, and the power of the different ammunitions and guns.

NRA was great. One of the aims is to show the difference distance makes to aim. We were shooting at metal plates today which were white-washed between rounds so bullet hits would make a plainly visible black spot on each target. If you hit the target, it fell down - which was a good way of knowing if you'd hit it. In some of the other disciplines you can't ever see the target clearly, let alone where (if) you've hit.

I was happy with how I shot today - but I would have been even happier had I managed to take out all six targets in the last round - instead of leaving just the one plate standing.

Sooz was ready and waiting at home when I made it back to Latimers. She had to wait for me to fill out my police application (... I had to find it first of course .. I have to start putting things in non-safe places - I might be able to locate them) before we could go. There was no need to say goodbye to the furries when we left, they were asleep.

We decided to do lunch at Ferry Road where we had fresh bread, some meat and mustard. I couldn't believe that there was no hot English mustard to be had at all at Ferry Road today - so we had to settle for Dijon instead. It was a great lunch and once we had coffee to go with it, it was perfect.

We ended up at a wedding this afternoon. We weren't invited of course but the church was across the road from the police station . As we parked, the bridal car went past and onto the church forecourt. We watched and waited for them to go in before we went in to see the police. Sooz needed to get a permit so she can work with older people, and I needed to (finally)lodge my application to join a pistol club.

You can look straight down the church aisle from outside and when we were leaving, the about-to-be-couple were exchanging rings. We wished them well and went on our way.

The watchdog wasn't at her best this afternoon. Syl managed to drive in , do stuff down the back, and drive out without her barking to let us know there Was someone here. To be fair, Sooz did hear her bark once but she didn't make a song or dance about it.

Rain was predicted for this afternoon and just before dark the clouds massed over the hill. It wasn't until almost an hour later though that the rain started, gently at first and then more insistent. It's good - the valley really needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment